A Career is frequently used to explain an profession or a work that advances through an total life of an person with a concept of learning through knowledge and exploring latest technologies all the way along. It can also be seen as a series of jobs usually practiced within a single area or a division that the person is interested in.
A profession is a course or series throughout our lives and requires nonstop planning and pushy about interests, values, skills and preferences, while making sure that both work and life are well-balanced.
Things to reflect before opting for a career: While some people are apparent about their careers from an untimely age, who end up in fulfilling careers, most of us are still puzzled even after getting degrees. Therefore the best way is to follow a well-thought decision.
- Decide on an occupation as it gives you a good judgment of direction, allowing you to focus on your job search and work towards the preparation that goes along with that line of work.
- Sort out your interests, strengths, trainings to endure, jobs in that field etc.
- It is advantageous to prefer a career that is more appropriate to you and one that best fits your personal circumstances.
Follow a four step career planning process
- Step1: Evaluate yourself – Calculate yourself about where you are now and where you want to be and how you are scheduling to get there. List out your interests, strengths, skills, significant personal factors to consider etc. You will have a clear idea of your goals and your preferences.
- Step2: Discovering out – Search about the occupation and knowledge areas that interest you. Once you set your specialized preferences, you can explore on the particular skills and qualifications necessary for those occupations, and the option you have, to attain those skills within your reach.
- Step3: Decision Making – This step involves evaluating all of your options, the pros and cons of each option, how they suit with your current condition and the job market. Once set with all these it’s time to start working towards your goal.
- Step4: Taking forward – Now that you have a plan, all you need to do is, put that plan into action. Figure out what kind of training would help you achieve your goals, who will shore up you to pursue your options further, like work experience, work shadowing, internship etc.
- Check with a career therapist who can assist you in matching your skills and capacity with your career paths.
- Today’s market varies frequently. In these circumstances it is wise to change your careers to familiarize yourself to the changing economy.
- Look out for flexible career options and take benefits of the learning opportunities to survive in the modernized digital world.
Mistakes to Avoid When Selecting a Career: Career preparation is an enduring process and there are definite important things to avoid while choosing a career. Given below are some of the tips to be kept in mind before making a decision.
Choose cleverly: Do not let anyone else make your career decisions. Make a wise decision all by yourself based on your area of interest and deal with your choice.
Following others: Do not just follow someone else because he is massively successful. What worked out for him may not work for you, if it’s not interesting to you.
Inappropriate research: Always take time to research and learn about the career before you decide. Study about the job descriptions, the duties, educational requirements and earnings.
Disregarding motives and Location: Only a few occupations suit your personality type, interests, values and aptitude. It’s essential to take important things into account, while selecting a career. Certain jobs are concentrated in metro politic cities where there is a wide range of possibilities compared to rural areas.
Neglecting Future: Do not make your choice from the “best careers list”. The growth, the stability or a decline of a profession is unpredictable. You can at least eliminate such careers, if its future looks losing ground
Since a person’s career is a very important and personal choice that reflects his/her personality, creativity, interests, and goals, it is significant to choose and pursue his/her career carefully.