If you feel that your work is turning monotonous or if you are feeling a strong urge to go on a long holiday, then these are signs that you should start to explore alternatives to your current job.
How to reinvent your career?
The first step is to draw a clearer picture of your career goals and dream. Think about where you see youself 3 or 5 years down the line if I continue working for the same industry?” or “Do I still love my job as I used to when I started?” Other questions you might ask yourself are:
– What type of job would I have if I change industry?
– What kind of hours would I work?
– What type of company would I work for?
– Will I be able to gel into a different kind of work culture?
– How much money would I make?
– How would I handle stress, my workload, and deadlines?
– How would I successfully be balancing work and life?
The above questions will help you to assess your current industry and company. While replying, don’t worry about right or wrong. Simply, take after your heart. There is an internal feeling of peace and finishing, love and empathy when you enable yourself to take after your heart. However it doesn’t follow that if you think about something, it will happen on its own. You have to take concrete steps to try and realize the change that you want in your career.
Steve Jobs once said:
“Have the courage to follow your intuitions. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” So don’t let past mistakes or choices cloud your answers.
To reinvent your career you need to know what you want, and then take action to get it.