“Being overweight and obesity are major risk factors for many chronic diseases of all ages. When people are overweight or obese, they have more health problems in addition to higher health care costs.” – Mike Rounds
Obesity or over weight are inter changed. If a person’s bodyweight is at least 20% higher than it should be, he or she is considered obese. If your Body Mass Index (BMI) is between 25 and 29.9 you are considered overweight. If your BMI is 30 or over you are considered obese. BMI is a statistical tool to estimate your body weight and height. There are many factors that help you gain body weight. These factors vary from a person to person. Some of the factors are:
• Taking food high in calories
• Changing lifestyles
• Inadequate sleep
• Taking some foods that interfere with lipid metabolism
• People gain weight when they stop smoking
• Some medications may also make patients put on weight
Burning calories to lose weight is a burning issue in these days. Losing weight cannot happen overnight. It is a step by step procedure which takes time to shed fat. Start with a healthy breakfast daily. Skipping a breakfast is not healthy for body. A healthy breakfast helps keep your body in an active mode throughout the day. Exercise is the best way to reduce your weight fast and it is a suitable technique to lose weight. Minimum exercise can lead to overall health and fitness of the body. Walking is the easiest exercise for the body. You can start up with a 20 minutes walk per day. You can increase the time gradually to get speedy results. It is important to include fresh fruits and vegetables that act as a natural source of energy. Weight loss programs can make you weaker at times if you don’t check out for the best source of healthy nutrients that boost your internal energy at once. A good weight loss rate for people on a diet is considered to be 4.4 to 8.8 pounds a month.
A person with overweight can suffer from below health problems:
• Type II Diabetes
• Cardiovascular disease
• Congestive heart failure
• Sleep apnea
• Respiratory illnesses
• Kidney, breast, colon and prostate cancers
Some people follow all the tips suggested by the experts, but they often fail in getting results. In such cases please check:
• Whether you are eating very less calories food
• Whether you are losing lean mass
• Whether you are exercising too much
• Whether you are not sleeping enough
Diet plays an important role in losing weight. Some foods should be avoided and some foods should be included in diet. Here is a diet chart that explains the things which should be followed and which should be eliminated.
Herbals in losing weight:
• Green tea is an effective weight loss factor that oxidizes fat in the body. Green tea can be consumed raw or made into tea
• Cayenne is a spicy herb that helps you lose weight as it contains capsaicin to improve digestion and burn fat
• Seaweed is a thyroid agent to burn the additional fat in the body
• Cascara is an authorized herbal weight loss element to eliminate harmful toxins in the body
• Ginseng is an ancient herb that helps improve the metabolic activities in the digestive system
Fiber foods in losing weight:
• Beans and legumes – lentils, chickpeas, navy beans, green peas, black beans, lima beans, split peas
• Vegetables – broccoli, cabbage, sweet potatoes or yams, kale, cauliflower
• Fruits – apples, strawberries, bananas, berries, papayas, coconut
• Seeds and nuts – sunflower seeds, walnuts, flax seeds, almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds
• Whole grain – rye bread, bran flakes, brown rice, oatmeal, pearl barley
Below tips can be helpful to the people who are planning to reduce their weight.
1. Have your meal in small plates
Having meal in small plates automatically reduces the quantity of the food taken. A same food served in a small bowl looks more than a larger bowl. A study” Super Bowls: Serving Bowl Size and Food Consumption “published in Journal of the American Medical Association declares that, people who take their meal in larger bowls consume more food than the people who use small bowls.
2. Sleep 7 hours a day
The obesity rate will be less in the people who sleep minimum 7 hours a day and will be more in the people who sleeps more than 8.5 hrs daily. When you sleep less than 6 hrs a day, your body needs sugar or carbohydrates to replace the lost energy.
3. Do exercise like Walk, Jog or Run
Do smart exercises rather than doing hard exercises. Walking is the best technique to burn additional calories in the body. It also reduces the Low-density lipoprotein and at the same time it increases the “good cholesterol” and high-density lipoprotein percentage in the body. Walking also improves the mood of a person by reducing the blood pressure levels in the body. Jogging, running and bicycling are result oriented exercises in losing weight. Start with warm-up exercises and do your convenient exercise minimum 3 days a week.
4. Take skinless chicken
Chicken skin contains high calories and additional fat. A small piece of chicken piece contains 13 calories, half gram of fat and 2 grams of protein. The way of cooking also decides the amount of calories accumulated in chicken. If the chicken is cooked in its own liquid, it will be having more calories than the chicken cooked in a way to drain off.
5. Don’t avoid your favorite food
Don’t avoid your favorite food from your diet. Instead of avoiding your favorite foods completely form your diet, have them in small quantities. Instead of avoiding your favorite foods, set aside a day from your diet plan and have your favorite food on that day. An appropriate diet plan may not affect your body.
6. Avoid coffee creamers
Single serving of liquid creamers like half and half contains 20 calories each. Table cream contains more calorie than the normal. Powdered varieties contain fewer calories as regular powdered creamers contain 16 and light creamers contain 13 calories. Most of the creamers contain 1-2 grams of fat and light powdered creamers contains half gram of fat.
7. Eat spicy foods
Most of us are not aware that, spices like turmeric, paparika, garlic powder oregano and rosemary benefit a person’s metabolism system. A recent study held by Penn state’s professor’s team on six healthy overweight males in the age group of 30 to 65. The study was inducted by giving one week normal food and another week with Spicer alternatives discovers that the men’s insulin and triglyceride levels decreased at 21% to 31%.
8. Reduce your stress level
The body releases adrenalin and CRH when you are under stress and your body automatically decreases the appetite for a shorter period. This is also called as fight or flight syndrome and it allows a person to eat more. It is good for health to identify the stress causes and avoid them to keep the body in a healthy condition. Create pleasant atmosphere at home and office. Maintain good relationships and avoid arguments. Don’t over eat to overcome stress. When you feel stressed, take a walk, swim, jog, listen to music or play a game.
9. Prefer original fruits rather than fruit juices
Most of the fruit skins contain additional nutrients. But while processing the juices, these skins will be removed and so the nutrient values. The fruits whose skin contains more nutrient values are as follows:
10. Take more salads
A salad is preferable to take before the meal and it allows us to consume less amount of main dish. Eat good foods on smaller plates, lower your fat intake, burn some calories, sleep well, and reward yourself with your favorite treats. Dieting can be a fun experience enjoyed either on your own, or shared with friends. But it should not become a punishment.
Sudden loss of body weight also creates below side effects:
• Loss of muscle: Sudden weight loss in a body creates muscle loss. When the body does not get enough nutrients from the diet, it becomes weak and less energetic. Loss of muscle reduces the body metabolism and a person regains weight when his diet improves.
• Loose skin: Sudden weight loss causes loose and hanging skin. This particularly appears in the parts of abdomen and arms.
• Dehydration: Generally muscles are made of water and loss of muscles creates loss of body’s reserve water. Dehydration leads to dizziness, weakness, stones in gall bladder and diarrhea and vomiting.
• Gallstones: Rapid weight loss and loss of water with loss of muscle disturbs the balance of cholesterol and bile salts in gall bladder, ultimately leads to formation of stones in gall bladder.
• Hair loss: This is the most common syndrome in the people who lose weight. The lack of protein in the diet will lead to brittle hair and eventually hair loss.
1. Myth: You should not take junk food to lose weight.
Fact: Every person needs a certain amount of fat in their diet. It is advised not to take more percentage of junk foods like chips, pizzas and burgers.
2. Myth: Exercise is important to lose weight.
Fact: It is important to lose weight. Exercise helps cut down the calories in the body.
3. Myth: To lose weight, it’s best to eat several small meals a day.
Fact: True and proved in many cases.
4. Myth: I don’t need to diet or exercise if I take weight loss supplements
Fact: It not true.
5. Myth: Natural weight loss supplements don’t have side effects.
Fact: Any weight loss supplements will be having side effects.