Searching a job after taking gap is not an easy task and it requires lot of background work like updating resume and improving skills as per the changing job market. When you joined in an organization, you have undertaken new responsibilities and added new job skills to your profile. Once you take gap in your career, sit and do below changes to your resume to be rated as an active profile. Below are the list of things you need to polish up key information in the document that will get the attention of recruiters, and a job.
- Revive your contact details: An employer will reach you, if you provide your genuine contact details to recruiters contact you. Make ensure that, the phone number mentioned in your old resume is currently in use or not? At the end of the resume or footer of the resume, you can also mention about the convenient timings to contact you. Maintain separate email ids for personal and job search process. It is also important to ensure that the mentioned email id is currently working or not?
- Revive your skillsets: Prepare multiple profiles on various skillsets as per the requirement of applying job. If you are experienced, then add your last job skills to the profile and list out the core competencies relevant to the present job you applying for. This is the important factor, if you are planning to change your domain or career.
- Revive your references: Include all the details of references in your resume of previous employment. Even you can consider the references of your old colleagues as your referees, which adds value to your resume.
- Revive the training programmes, if you undertake any: Remember that, training programmes you have taken on job and off job also add value to your job, which you are applying. Be sure that your resume should highlight in a way that, how you have progressed through the previous employment to the present one.
- Revive your roles and responsibilities:An updated resume with your present job roles and responsibilities and include the latest job profile and responsibilities and achievements in your present job may catch recruiter’s attention.