Presenting your work experience in a right way will keep your resume in limelight. Choosing the right format and injecting the right information with right wording may grab the attention of employers.
How to organize your employment history?
- Select the right format:Select a resume format that clearly describes your work experience and what you are expecting in your future job. Handling the employment gaps in your resume is also very important. So, select a resume from chronological, functional or combinational to project your core competencies.
- Summary of employment history: Your resume should start by mentioning about your work accomplishments and snapshot of your profile.
- List out your experiences: List out your experiencesunder the experience section with all the details of company names, designations held, dates of employment from starting to end dates and brief description of job profile for each job.
List out your responsibilities and achievements
Mention your job responsibilities which you are performing at your job. Achievements are those gained results for your efforts towards your job. Use strong verbs like “Increased sales from xxxx to xxxxxx” and achieved “xxxxxx award” which makes a resume to look like plan oriented.
Analyze yourself in adding long employment history?
Another important factor in considering the employment history is deciding to showcase the early years of your career and the extent of detail to be provided. This is more applicable to the people who have more than 10 years’ experience and long employment history candidates.
- Long employment history: When a person works continuously for 10 years may have detailed job description with various responsibilities.
- Frequent job changes: When a person have changed various organizations may need to highlight the recent job descriptions in detail and earlier job descriptions with brief information like company name, designation and employment details.
Customize your job responsibilities as per the requirement
When you apply for a job, customize your resume and job responsibilities as per the requirement of employer. So, present your accomplishments and skills in the right format and keeping it relevant to the job applied for.