Resume is an important document which contains essential information about the job applicant. But it should be up to the point and should not contain unrelated information of the job application. Make ensure that your resume is well written with an eye catching look. A simple resume also get attention when it formatted in a right way. So, make sure that you are following right resume format.
● Presenting your work history: Listing out your work experiences in a chronological or functional order is important to present them in resume. Make ensure that the presented work history is most relevant to your job opening in all aspects.
● Do not be repetitive: Try to avoid long paragraphs and very lengthy bullet points. Furnish the information in various subheadings, so that it can be easy to scan your resume.
● Don’t put too much white space: White spaces are used to identify among the paragraphs and different sections. Using too much white space may increases the number of pages. A recruiter gets n number of resumes for each job application and it’s not possible for a recruiter to go through the bulk profile in detail.
● Prefer a readable font: Some fonts like Courier, Times New Roman, Helvetica, and Arial are preferred fonts for resume. Keep the font size anywhere between 10-13. Never use decorative or cursive fonts as they affect the readability of text.
● Use adequate spacing: Using double line space between words may also increase the number of pages. Too much or too less space between words and lines also impact the readability of the content.
● User margins in your resume for a neat look: Use margin of 0.5 inches to 1 inch for each page and justify the content before posting it.
● Don’t use tables with multiple columns: Never use a table with multiple columns and rows. Using many columns and rows may give monotonous look to the viewers.
● Never use graphical images, background images and pictures in your resume: Using the above factors may give unprofessional look to your resume and increases the size of the resume and it is also difficult to send through mails which take more time to deliver.
● Be Concise the information: Make ensure that the information you have included is relevant to the information provided in resume. As you know, it takes much time for a recruiter to go through the bulky resume.
● Proofread your resume: Once you structure your resume with above points, proofread it for any error identifications. A resume with spell mistakes and grammatical errors is not acceptable and creates bad impression.