“Good food is wise medicine.” – Alison Levitt
“Believe it or not, Americans eat 75 acres of pizza a day.” – Boyd Matson, TV journalist
Have you questioned yourself on the bad effects of junk food? Junk food…the most lovable food of Westerners and Indians too. It causes major health impact on them. The ingredients used in the processing of the junk food make them very tasty and popular. An online survey on junk food says that, fast food industry is growing rapidly in china as compared to US. It also reveals that 15% of Chinese children aged 10-12 are suffering from obesity as a result of consuming fast food.
The great example of Indian Junk food is ‘Chaat’ like samosas, kachoris, Panipuris/golappas and others. Junk food affects the body in a negative way because it contains high sugar, fat, cholesterol and fatty oils. Junk food causes pimples in youth and teenagers due to excess oil used in making of junk food. Most of the people love to eat while watching TV and at work locations. Without their notice they eat a lot which damages their body in a great way.
Noted American Junk Food List:
• Arby’s Apple Turnover
• Arby’s Cherry Turnover
• Arby’s Cinnamon Twist
• A&W Papa Burger
• A&W Original Bacon Double Cheeseburger
• A&W Original Double Cheeseburger
• A&W Fries
• A&W Crispy Chicken Sandwich
• Boston Market Chocolate Cake
• Boston Market Pastry Top Chicken Pot Pie
• Burger King Hash Browns
• Burger King French Fries
• Burger King Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Biscuit
• Burger King Ham, Egg, & Cheese Biscuit
• Burger King Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit
• Burger King BK Chicken Fries
• Burger King Tender crisp Chicken Sandwich
• Burger King Cini-minis
• Dairy Queen Chicken Strip
• Dairy Queen Onion Rings
• Dairy Queen Choc. Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard
• Dairy Queen Flamethrower Grill burger
• Domino’s Garlic Dipping Sauce
• Jack in the Box Fish & Chips
• Jack in the Box Bacon Cheddar Potato Wedges
• Jack in the Box Natural Cut Fries
• Jack in the Box Onion Rings
• Jack in the Box Seasoned Curly Fries
• Jack in the Box Spicy Chicken Biscuit
• Jack in the Box Sampler Trio
• Jack in the Box Spicy Chicken Bites
• Jack in the Box Plain Chicken Biscuit
• Jack in the Box Sausage, Egg & Cheese Biscuit
• Jack in the Box Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit
• Jack in the Box Original French Toast Sticks
• Jack in the Box Sausage Biscuit
• Jack in the Box Sourdough Ultimate Cheeseburger
• Jack in the Box Stuffed Jalapeños
• Jack in the Box Blueberry French Toast Sticks
• Jack in the Box Sausage Croissant
• KFC Chicken and Biscuit Bowl
• KFC Chicken Pot Pie
• McDonald’s French Fries
• McDonald’s Baked Apple Pie
• McDonald’s Chicken Selects Premium Breast Strips
• McDonald’s Hotcakes (2 pats margarine & syrup)
• Sonic French Toast Sticks
• White Castle French Fries
• White Castle Onion Chips
• White Castle Clam Strips
• White Castle Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
• White Castle Fish Nibblers
• White Castle Chicken Rings
• White Castle Hot Chocolate
• White Castle Home style Onion Rings
• White Castle Fish Nibblers
Noted Indian Fast Food:
• Chole Batura
• Dahi Puri
• Dahi Vada
• Hyderabadi Haleem
• Vegetable sandwich
• Gol gappa
Junk food causes major hazards on a person’s health because of its less nutritional values. Junk food contains a lot of calories and unhealthy saturated fats that may lead to obesity, diabetics, and high B.P. In spite of being aware of its hazards, people get addicted to the junk food. Foods like pizzas, burgers, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and saturated fats are high on the taste quotient. Soft drinks like, Pepsi, sprite, fanta, lemonade and others contain high amount of sugar and color.
Disadvantages of Junk Food:
• The immediate effect of junk food is it reduces energy levels in the body.
• People lose concentration on their work and it is also observed that they suffer from drowsiness and decreased blood circulation.
• The major consequences of junk Food are Heart diseases, Myocardial infarction, Cardiac arrest and arteriosclerotic vascular disease.
• Recently researchers have found that junk food also shows a negative impact on male reproductive system and menstrual cycles.
• Fatty liver disease is also appearing common in the junk food lovers.
• Youth are developing kidney stones from excessive salt associated with junk food.
• Hypertension due to high amount of sodium levels in the food.
• Consumption of junk food is more in United States than in other countries.
Junk food also has some advantages like:
• It saves time
• Instant and ready to eat
• It eliminates the cooking time for a busy individual
• Some junk foods are available in affordable rates
Some tips like taking boiled food rather than fried one and fruit juices instead of carbonized drinks can make you healthier.
The below methods can be helpful in avoiding Junk Food.
1. Do not eat food at restaurants
2. Do not eat anything sold in vending machine
3. Do not eat pastries, cakes and cookies
4. Do not eat processed foods-more man made than real
5. Do not eat any kind of candy
6. Do not turn a salad in to Junk Food which contains more cheese, meat and saturation fats.
• Eat a Balanced Diet
• Enjoy plenty of whole grains, fruits and vegetables
• Eat a variety of nutrient-rich foods
• Maintain a healthy weight
• Eat three meals a day
• Eat moderate portions
• Reduce, don’t eliminate certain foods
• Balance your food choices over time
• Know your diet pitfalls
• Make changes gradually
• Remember, foods are not good or bad
• Avoid eating junk foods
• Drink plenty of water