In very less time every student is brazen out with the exit gates of Institution/College to the industry and it all begins with preparation of a resume. Let’s go through the below points which can help out fresher student in preparing a good resume.
Students suffer that they are rigorously unsupported in this mission due to lack of any kind of trained experience. One should remember that this very restriction of students can be curved into a great chance to separate themselves from the crowd.
We will perceive how to do this below. One more main challenge student’s face is not knowing which format to go after and present. There are so many formats out there when you Google for resume formats, it gets puzzling as to which one demands more to recruiters and interviewers.
A simple reply is selecting the format that looks fresh and spaced and appeal to the eye. Again, given the inadequate content a resume of a fresher would have moderately when compared to that of an experienced professional, this also is an chance to choose any format that is more presentable.
General Mistakes :
- First and the primary mistake several students make when preparing a resume is not communicative how they are, what they offer and how they are good at what they propose.
- Students, now and then treat resume as a V card for the recruiter to contact them and prepare it with less sincerity assuming that the rest can be communicated when talking in person.
- This is a massive mistake. One should understand faster that an in person meeting is less likely to happen if the resume is not selected in the first place. And for a resume to be shortlisted, it needs to address exacting needs of the recruiter.
- Second mistake is that, students making is creating all kinds of informal email ids and using the same for professional communications as well. Email ids with names like sweety, smarty, terminator etc. should be avoided at all costs.
- Third common mistake that some students do is to list all the courses they have done and list any training programs that they have attended. Another problem with listing all skills learned is that you will come across as an all-rounder fresher which really means you do not have a core skill nor a string area. This is not the picture you want to create for a recruiter when you are applying.
How to Conquer these Challenges :
- Always try to choose a core skill path and project your skills around that track with the courses you have done, with the application of what you have learnt and any other contributions in this area.
- Second, try and take part in as many activities as you can during your college.
- Third, always focus on applying what you have learnt through personal projects and internships outside and do not just focus on learning and excelling in the exams.
- You can begin with your placements office of your college and gather resumes of alumni who got placed in the earlier years. Study these cautiously and note from each resume things that clicked with you.
- Always set up a network with alumni in your college to get your resume reviewed. And note that resume preparation is not a just the once activity but an iterative advance process.
- There should be adequate long breaks between each iteration so that you come out of your strong concepts and always look at your previous draft with a fresh perception and edit and process the draft further.
- To summarize, always keep this on top of your mind that the only reason of the resume is for you to influence the reader to want to know more about you by short listing you for an interview. Once you are shortlisted, this persuasion process turns into in person which then leads to the next steps in this job searching journey.