I. Information Technology sector careers
We are living in the age of information technology. Information technology sector has gained prominent place in the market due to its IT and ITES sectors. It has created outstanding opportunities to employees. Today computers are being used not only in corporate sector but also in other fields like service sector, food processing, banking sector and others.
II. Major sectors of information technology
• Hardware: It includes physical elements of the computers system dealing with designing, manufacturing and maintenance of computers. It also includes assembling of the manufactured components of the computers.
Functional areas in Hardware:
– Research and development
• Software: It includes a set of instructions that enable a computer to perform.
Functional areas in Software:
– Manufacture: This involves production and assembly of components of computer systems.
– Software development: Maintenance department look after the functioning of the machine and help in rectifying and detecting the breakdowns.
– Data entry: The data required for the programs are stored in the system.
– Programmers/Coders: Programmers write and test programs.
– Application programmers: These programmers design user friendly programs on individual use basis by testing and integrating them.
– Support services: It involves support services which help the customers choose the right product while purchasing the software.
– Database administration: It involves management and administration of data base.
– Sales and Marketing: It involves selling different parts of a computer system.
– Data center management: It involves management of critical servers and other networking equipment. Data centers runs on 24/7 basis.
III. Requirements to enter into the IT field
A person who wants to perceive their career in IT field should have below requirements:
• Logical thinking
• Strong communication skills
• Hard working nature
• Organizational abilities
• Able to work in long working hours
• Able to take independent decisions
IV. Educational qualifications
A candidate should have below qualifications to get a professional job in IT field. They are as follows:
• Bachelor in Computer Applications (BCA)
• Bachelor in Science with Computers (B.Sc)
• Masters in Computer Applications (MCA)
• M.Sc in computers
• Masters in System Management
• B.Tech and B.E
• Computer certification courses
• DCA and PGDCA
V. Professions offered in IT sector
IT professionals are offered with much kind of professional jobs in the market as the sector is creating number of opportunities to the IT graduates. Some of them are as below:
• Software Engineers
• Web developers
• System analysts
• Technical writers
• Knowledge engineers
• Computer education
VI. Pay and other benefits
IT people earn high salaries as compared to other professionals. The pay scales differ on the basis of qualification and performance.